Saturday, May 24, 2008

Candidates and Cliches

Carren woke me up yesterday. I was sleeping in on my only day off which is Friday. This is in observance of the Muslim work week in the year 1426 of their calendar. She Skype’d me as I had my laptop online just so it would download email. SGM Stan sends me videos all the time so I just leave it plugged in now so it does not take 20 minutes over this slow local provider to get my mail. She had her lifelong friend from California in visiting her and I think they were a little appalled at the vision I gave them of bleary eyed and freshly woken up on the webcam. All that was missing was me scratching my nut bag and some bad breath. I went back to the rack and not 10 minutes later got a cell phone call as my crew on night shift could not leave the compound. The King of Saudi Arabia was in town and all roads were blocked. That is one reason I did not DD to Bahrain for my weekly dose of expensive beer. I drove out to the site and then I called my Saudi counterpart and he took care of it. I write better in the morning and have not had any time while at work the past few weeks so I am playing a little catch up here since I am already awake. Here goes.

I can’t get excited about the presidential race. Sorry, none of them fit the bill for me but I am voting for McCain as the other two scare the hell out of me. It has nothing to do with party. I have never voted a straight ticket as I believe that is wrong and short sighted. It shows a serious lack of research by the voter on issues and the people they are voting for. There are an equal number of creeps and strap hangers in both parties. I have read what the candidates have to say and just wish we had something better out there to draw from. We are in serious need of campaign reform. There has to be a better way. This is not a good selection and I know there are better folks out there to lead us. My choice would be Condoleezza Rice if she would run.

I am excited about one race though and it is a congressional race in New York State in district N-26. David Bellavia
http://www.bellavia2008.com is an OIF vet, winner of a Silver Star (Just below Medal of Honor), author of the best book to come out of the war (House to House), and is co-founder of Vets for Freedom http://www.vetsforfreedom.org/ VFF is a non partisan organization who work very hard at getting the media to tell the truth rather than give the one sided version they have gurgitated so far. They have a PAC backing people who think like me. They are split about 50-50 Democrat and Republican. I have donated to Bellavia’s campaign and listed myself as a distance volunteer.

We all have our political convictions and are not afraid to state them. That is what is beautiful about our country. WE can. I have been many places where you cannot. My wish is that my son never has to see the things I have seen. Those who are in the devil’s den now are getting the light version of the war. I don’t mean to denigrate their efforts but 2003-2005 was white knuckle all the time. I believe that if we cut and run it is just a matter of time before we have an all out fracas with Iran and her proxies and that will be a first class bloodletting for both sides.
We defeated the Russians through proxy wars and economic power. We can beat Iran militarily but at great cost. We cannot beat them economically while our economy is tied to oil. The only way to prevent all of this is to either face them down now or by keeping our presence in the region as it is and growing our influence OR by making ourselves energy independent. JFK challenged us to go to the moon. We did it when everyone thought it was an impossible task. What leader is out there who will challenge us to energy independence?

I have seen great change in this region (SW Asia) in the past 25 years I have been coming here. We as Americans have gone from being a curiosity, to being admired, to being hated and now I see a swing where we are being looked at with interest to see which way we go. Gulf nationals of all types and backgrounds tell me the same thing. They tell me that they know America is the greatest country in the world and that they know we mean well while we continue to screw up. They are willing to put up with our failures as long as we counter it with a better ratio of successes. They also tell me that they too fear that zealots and madmen will take control of the uneducated and unemployed and it scares them too. A power vacuum caused by the USA pulling out will encourage the Iranians and the radicals in the region and the local governments just will not be able to stand up. They will fall one by one to the same forces that deposed the Shah. We have the opportunity to show them that we can be trusted and counted on to do the right thing. What we do in Iraq is absolutely crucial. If we pull out we are seen as wishy-washy and weak willed.

Keep in mind, people in this part of the world don’t see world events the way we do. To them a 4 year term of office is a blip. They have rulers and government policies that exist for life. Whatever we do, it must be long range and stay the same regardless of who institutes it or what form it takes. As ruthless and hateful as the Gaddafis, Assads, and Mubaraks of the region are, they are better than the alternative at this point. As repressive as the ruling families are in the region they are better than the alternative.

I go on R&R in one week. We all laugh and joke and call the airliner out of this place the “Freedom Bird”. You don’t know just how true that is. When I land in Europe I can feel the difference and am more relaxed but it is not until I get to Bergstrom Airport and see the Stars and Stripes flying above the JetBlue jet way that I know I am in the best place in the world. I am in America where I don’t worry about my government or church spying on me. I don’t worry about being a target (Except by UCLA fans!) and I can breathe the air of freedom. You may think that sounds phony and clichéd. I can assure you it is not. It is true. Ask anyone who has been here.

No comments: